If you wish to come to the U.S. to work temporarily, you must apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Most common nonimmigrant workers classifications are listed below:

H-1B Specialty Occupations Visa

allows skilled professionals in speciality occupations such as professors, doctors, nurses, researchers, engineers, software programmers or lawyers to work in the U.S. for a period of 6 consecutive years, in some cases extended on yearly basis. You must possess a least a bachelor degree or its foreign equivalent or, alternatively, an extensive employment experience in the specialty occupation supported by strong documentary evidence.

E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

allows foreign nationals of the treaty country, or country that ratified a bilateral treaty of trade and commerce with the U.S., to be admitted into the U.S. to carry on substantial trade of goods, services, international banking, insurance, tourism, technology or transportation. This visa is granted for a period of two years, and there is no maximum limit to the number of extensions.

E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

allows the national of a treaty country to be admitted in the U.S. having invested a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business. This visa is also granted for a period of two years, and there is no maximum limit to the number of extensions.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa

enables an U.S. employer to transfer an employee from an affiliated foreign office to its division in the U.S. This classification also provides for a foreign company which does not yet have a U.S. office to send an employee to the U.S. with the purpose of establishing one. There are two types of Intracompany Transferee Visa, L-1A is granted to the executive and managers while L-1B to the employee possessing a specialized knowledge or expertise in the company’s products and procedures. The qualified employees may be admitted initially for a three-year period if they intend to join an existing company or a one-year period if they intend to join a newly established company. After initial entry, the extensions may be afforded in two-year increments for a maximum period of seven years for the executive and managers, and five years for the specialized knowledge employees.

O-1 Artist Visa

is a non-immigrant visa category for an individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics or who demonstrated record of extraordinary achievements in the motion picture or television industry, and had been recognized nationally and internationally for those achievements. The individual can initially obtain a three-year visa upon demonstrating that such time is required to perform his or her duties in the the U.S. If necessary, this period can be, thereafter, extended at one-year increments.

P-1 Entertainer Visa

applies to you if you are coming to the U.S temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition individually, or as part of a team, at the internationally recognized level of performance. You may be allowed to stay in the U.S. for a period up to five-years with extension no exceeding a total stay of ten (10) years.

Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visa

allows to visit the U.S. to participate in an international cultural exchange program. The purpose of the program is providing a training and employment, and to share the history, culture and traditions of your home country in the U.S. The duration of the stay of this type of visa cannot exceed 15 months.

R Religious Worker Visa

allows you to be temporarily employed at least part time by a non-profit organization in the U.S. to work as a minister or in the religious vocation or occupation. You may be able to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of 30 months. Your total period of extension cannot exceed five (5) years.

If you are interested in learning more if any of these visas apply to you, please call our office.